Friday, October 8, 2010

Our Trip Down Potty Road

I've had a couple of people ask me how I have gotten JoJo to potty train so easy so I thought I'd share my story. I figured today was a better day then any since it is the first time he went #2 in his potty.
He is 20 months, has been peeing in the potty for two months and isn't all teh way trained yet. i think I fear taking the big plunge and I think he is still too young.
On the other hand I am also scared I may be hindering him....if he is ready I should go with the flow.....no pun intended, LOL.

At 18 months I got his potty out with no intention other then keeping mum about it and letting him discover and get comfortable with it on his own. I thought it would take a month or two for him to even show interest in it. I was wrong, Mr. nosey was very curious and pee'd in it the first day. I immediately gave him a lollipop. That was key I think. Don't even take the potty out unless you have candy.

After that I quickly switched to regular M&M's, the kid can't get a lollipop everytime. So for the past two months I have asked him upon waking every morning and nap if he has to go potty. When I can give him a 100% of my attention I put his big boy undies on and ask him if he has to go every 30 minutes....if not more.

I keep a full supply of M&M's on hand and he gets on everytime. I braved a trip to Target last week, sans diaper and had him potty right before we left the house and as soon as we got in the store, even before I put him in a cart.

When I am in the bathroom doing my make-up I encourage him to try to sit on his potty and I praise him when he does. Sitting bare bottomed on a potty can be strange to a child, it cold, its unfamiliar.

As for #2, you have to catch them in the act or right before they are going to go. JoJo goes and hides behind a chair. Today i saw that look on his face as he made a beeline for his regular poo spot. I asked him if he had to go poo-poo. He said "no" so I told him he would get candy if he went. His dad was home and chimed in "I'll buy you a toy, lets go" and he swooped JoJo up and ran to the bathroom.
He plopped him down and he seemed nervous. He got up and we both told him "it ok, go it on your potty". We didnt hover and tried to act nonchalant. AND....Ta-da, he went.

We both were in shock but we did a happy dance and thankfully I had some mini snickers. I thought his first #2 deserved something special. We praised him like crazy and hopefully we are on the right track!

I know a lot of kids benefit from potty books and videos. I think my biggest suggestion would be to never get upset if they have a accident, miss or don't make it to the potty. Just say point blank "pee pee goes in the potty. This can be a stressful and scary new thing for them, its our job to make it a happy and rewarding experience.
Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment